Monday, April 25, 2011

"And you, Miss, are no lady" :)

Do you know this feeling – as if you are walking on a thin spring ice fearing that you will break it and fall into icy water at any moment? That’s how I sometimes feel when communicating with ladies. You never know what might be on their mind at the moment, how they may react to something that sounds totally neutral to you… I may not be the most empathic person in the world, and being a thick-skinned person myself I might expect the same from the others.

I also noticed that I am not an observational person in the female way either – I hardly ever notice things like new haircuts or clothes. After some exposure to female colleagues I trained myself to try my best in it. But I’ve never been natural in it.

The qualities listed above have made it easier for me to communicate with men than women. I am feeling more comfortable in a world where yes means yes and not maybe or no depending on the circumstances. I may lack unpredictability some men praise in women, but I prefer reason over spontaneity. I also like certainty better than obscurity – it’s always good to know the facts to be able to make decision and move, no matter how bad and unpleasant they may be.

I am not saying that I prefer male company over female. It’s just that I am now trying to befriend females who like me prefer reason over charades. Life’s too short to spend it on guessing what others might think or feel – just say it! :)

1 comment:

  1. Ugh, this is so true! And in Canada it's even tougher because ambiguity is the norm. It took me quite a while to figure out that "maybe" means "no", most of the time.

    I too prefer honesty and straightforwardness. Even if I notice haircuts and new shoes :)

    ReplyDelete